I spoke too soon!

I guess I jinxed myself! I was so excited to have all of my dental work done on April 11th! It had finally happened. I could get back to a regular life with a full mouth of teeth…or not! Only one week after everything had been completed and just as I was getting used to chewing on both sides of my mouth for the first time in a long time, the dental gods decided to exact their revenge on me and bring me back down to reality.

As I was out and about running some errands last Wednesday afternoon, I was enjoying a piece of gum when all of a sudden I realized that something was wrong. Sure I had noticed that my implant crown seemed to move up and down a little, but I just figured that was something I was going to have to get used to and so I tried to ignore it. The problem now was that the crown had dislodged itself from the screw head to which it was attached and I was holding it in my hand.

Really?!?! REALLY?!?! Are you freakin’ KIDDING me?!?

I immediately called my dentist’s office to tell them what happened. Because it was almost 4:30 pm, I was so glad that someone answered the phone. The very sweet receptionist scheduled me for the next morning at 7:00 am. Fortunately there was no pain as there was no nerve to be affected, so it was just mostly an inconvenience at that point. I ran the rest of my errands and while checking out at one store I received a phone call from a number I didn’t recognize. I silenced my phone and figured I’d check the voicemail and call them back after I was done. After I finished up, I listened to the voicemail. It was from one of the dental assistants who was trying to make sure she had everything set up for the next morning. Unfortunately, the receptionist’s instructions made it seem like it was much worse than it was. The only problem was, as she mentioned in her voicemail, that their office was now closed and their phones had been forwarded already so I couldn’t call her back. I guess she was going to have to wait until I arrived the next morning to find out what actually happened.

Now I can’t emphasize enough how much I dislike waking up early. I have no problem staying up late, but I am not, I repeat NOT, a morning person!! I knew I had a 9:30 am meeting the next morning and that was plenty early for my taste. Now I had to get all the way to my dentist’s office by dark 30 in the morning. Oh joy! So…the next morning the alarm went off as it was time for me to get up, so OF COURSE I hit the snooze button. I eventually dragged by lethargic and crownless butt out of bed and left in time to make it to the dentist’s office just as they were opening. The dental assistant who had called me the day before arrived just as I was getting there. Before she could ask me what happened, I plopped the dislodged crown down on the counter. She let out a HUGE sigh of relief as she thought that the screw itself had broken off. To her, what she was seeing was the best case scenario. I’m glad someone thought seeing my crown outside of my mouth was good news!

I’ll tell ya, there’s nothing like watching the sun rise from a dental chair!

The dental assistant was joking with me as we walked back to the room. She held up a manila folder and laughed when she said, “Look how thick your file is!” I actually figured it would have been 10 times as thick considering everything I’d had done over the years. Just as I was seated, Dr. Loveless came in to see the reason for my early morning visit. I told him I just missed everyone so much that I had to come back in for a visit. He was thoroughly amazed by what had happened as it was all but unheard of prior to…well…me! We all discussed the options for fixing the problem and decided the best thing to do would be to put the metal cap back on and send off for a new crown as this should NOT have happened. Well OF COURSE it shouldn’t happen, but this IS my mouth after all! As a consolation, they gave me some additional teeth whitening gel and decided that since my teeth looked so good they needed to adjust the color of the implant to better match them.

They sent off the order and told me it should be a few weeks before they get the replacement back. I mentioned that I was scheduled for a cleaning on May 2nd, which would be exactly 3 weeks after all of my work was “finished” and two weeks after my gum-chewing catastrophe occurred. We decided it would be great to just combine the two visits into one. If the crown came back in time, they would simply do everything after my cleaning. If not, we would just reschedule the cleaning to coincide with the crown replacement so as to save me yet another drive to their office. That worked for me! Maybe when I come in for the final “final” appointment I can convince them that I just need to be put on their payroll so I can get paid for hanging out with them so frequently. Here’s hoping!

About robynthorn

Robyn Thorn is just a girl learning that she’s perfectly normal after all these years. She has been blogging for several years and can often be found singing the night away at her local karaoke establishments. Although she has no children of her own, she is Aunt Bobbyn to many. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and Communications and finds that this fits her personality perfectly. She is a certified Zumba® instructor, an ACE certified Group Fitness Instructor, and holds a Texas Secondary Teaching Certificate in Speech Communications. Robyn has also been a mentor with the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Texas since 2011. She is the author and publisher of "We're All Rubber Bands: Finding happiness with who you are."
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s